This post was previously published on 4/9/2009. I am sharing it to observe today's Jewish festival of Purim.
My friend, Dawn, shared with me about her experiences working an office where the boss is heavily into Scientology. This is not always easy as her values often contrast with his. He talks about the importance of being legal and ethical, yet his actions don't always follow his words. It is a delicate situation where she must abide by certain rules, yet not compromise her own values and standards.
When we are faced with circumstances like my friend's that are contrary to our beliefs, who knows if God has placed us there "for such a time as this?"
- Perhaps we are there to shine our light in a dark place.
- Maybe God will open opportunity for honest sharing.
- Or we might be there just to pray for the people involved.
- He might ask us to speak up ("Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone" Col. 4:6)
- Or He might want us to keep silent ("Even a fool, when [s]he keeps silent, is considered wise." Prov. 17:28) and make it a matter of prayer.
- If He wants us to speak up, "do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." Mt. 10:19-20
But we can be sure this one thing - that as we seek His will, He will guide us. As the world around us gets darker each day, will you be ready "for such a time as this?"