Throughout history, God has used 40-day periods to accomplish His purposes.
- It rained for 40 days delivering Noah, his family and the animals from destruction.
- For 40 days, Moses was on Mount Sinai, face to face with God, receiving the Ten Commandments.
- The spies of the nation of Israel surveyed the promised land for 40 days.
- Jonah, in obedience, went to Ninevah proclaiming destruction in 40 days and inspired a revival in the sinful city.
- Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness overcoming temptation before beginning His earthly ministry.
- For 40 days, Jesus walked the earth after His resurrection, giving many "convincing proofs", speaking of the kingdom of God, and birthing the early church.
- Even in this century, Pastor Rick Warren influenced millions of people with his 40 day plan in his bestseller book, The Purpose Driven Life.
Well, 40 days from today is..... Christmas Day!
How will your next 40 days be spent?
Blessed..... or stressed?
Yesterday, I had a wonderful day with the women at Harvest Christian Fellowship in NYC, sharing this message at their annual Thanksgiving Women's Fellowship. Speaking on the subject of Thanksgiving, I felt led to share from Phil. 4:6-9 where Paul exhorts us to "not be anxious about anything.... but WITH THANKSGIVING... present our requests to God." We are approaching a period of time that each year is often filled with anxiety rather than thanksgiving. This may be a deliberate attempt of the enemy of our souls to distract us from the glorious truth that God came from heaven to earth so that God and sinner could be reconciled.
So, believing that God can do amazing things in your life over the next 40 days, I am sharing a challenge with you - that together we can each have a revival in our personal lives and can influence those around us to draw close to God as well.
My desire is not that you get into the Christmas spirit.....
but that you be filled with the Holy Spirit.
As you know, I don't usually post more than 2 times per week because I don't want to flood your inbox and because I don't want to drive my family or myself crazy to write more than that. However, I will be posting every day for the next 40 days! Why and how will I do this?
I want to partner together with you in this challenge to use these next 40 days as a time for renewal, restoration and revival. I will share devotions as well as practical tips to redeem this time as preparation for our coming King.
Each day I will share either:
- Something old - a previous post of mine
- Something new - a newly written post
- Something borrowed - shared from another writer
- Nothing blue - all posts will be uplifting, motivating, encouraging, useful!
Will you join me in the 40 day challenge?
Will you commit to redeeming this time?
Will you let me know so that I can pray for you during this time?
Will you share your insights with me and my readers by leaving a comment?
Will you encourage others to walk this 40 day journey with us?
Lord, may those reading this today be encouraged to take this challenge with me and commit the next 40 days to draw closer to You, to not be influenced by the stresses in their world, to be blessed rather than stressed, to redeem this time, to glorify You with their words and their deeds.
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14