Gentle Leader

from Monday, October 20, 2008










Roxie Panzica






My little pup, Roxie and I took a stroll yesterday in the beautiful autumn weather. Now, this doggie of mine is a natural born "puller". She always has been. Put the leash on her, and she is so excited, she can't wait to get moving. It puts a terrible strain on her neck. We tried the choker collar to no avail. Tried one with teeth that cut into her neck, that was a nightmare. Then we found the "Gentle Leader". It is a miracle. No stress. No pulling. No problem. It's based on the theory of a horse's reign. Instead of attaching the leash to the back of her neck, it attaches under her chin. If she pulls, her head will go down and she stops pulling immediately. The only thing is - she doesn't much like putting it on.









Saddest face ever :(

.

.
.
When she sees it coming, she turns her head to the side. So like the mom I am, I start talking to her: "I know, baby, it's not what you want, but it's what you need." Well, that reminded me of the Rolling Stones song my husband would sing to our kids when they were young: "You can't always get what you want... you get what you need..."

.



This episode got me thinking that I have a Gentle Leader too: "You will keep on guiding me with Your command leading me to a glorious destiny." Psalm 73:24
.
Our Lord is a most Gentle Leader, is He not? We want to pull this way or that. He knows that often what we want is not what we need, and He leads us in the right direction. We may resist or turn aside, but if we allow Him to direct us our paths, we will experience His best for us.

.
.
Roxie overcomes her initial objection because she knows that it's only with the Gentle Leader she'll have that walk she longs to have.





Oh, so happy! :)






Would we be so wise and let our Gentle Leader lead us!!
Susan

3 comments:

Jen said...

This posting made me smile!!!

Not only is the message "The gentle leader" so right on track...but how can I not smile when I see that little face!

Back to "The gentle leader" some messages from the Lord aren't so gentle, sometimes he abruptly tells you, "no!" And it's for our own good...of course!

I found an amazing blog on Friday night or on Saturday morning (forgot exactly when it was) and thought about you right away. I will post it below, but I could see you as the "student" sending the message to his classmates. Once you read it, you will understand where I'm coming from.

xoxo
ME

Pat said...

Susan.
"Gentle Leader"! I love that!!
I am looking forward to meeting you at She Speaks!!
Blessings,
Pat

Jean said...

Thanks. A gentle reminder about our Shepherd/Leader, the Lord.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Jean
http://www.jeanmatthewhall.blogspot.com