Happy Birthday, James!

Today, I got the most wonderful phone call. James was a student in my Sunday School class when he was 5 years old. He called to remind me that it was his "spiritual birthday". Nine years ago today, he prayed with me to receive Jesus Christ as his Savior.

He remembers many details of that day, including where we where and even what he ate that day - chocolate chip pancakes! But more importantly, he remembers what that day signifies. At 5 years old, he was born into God's eternal kingdom. Each year, his parents honor that decision with a special gift. He is a godly young man, and the Lord has great plans for him, I'm sure.

At 24 years old, I made the same decision as James. My friends and I spent summer weekends at a beach house in the Hamptons. We slept on the beach by day and danced in the bars at night. One night, we met the members of a band. What we didn't know was that the band members had come to Christ a few weeks before we met them. Well, it wasn't long before we did know that! They freely shared the good news with us, and after several more meetings and reading the Bible, we also accepted Christ as our Savior. That was the beginning of a long, an unusual, but a glorious story of walking with my Lord.

Whether you have come to know Jesus as a child or as an adult, whether long ago or recently, the important thing is the coming to Him. We often lavishly celebrate our physical birthdays, but our earthly bodies will one day pass away. Our spiritual birthday marks the day we enter eternal life which will never pass away.

Today was a beautiful reminder to me of my spiritual birthday as well as James'. I am reminded of the best gift ever given. I am thankful to Tony A., Richie and the other band members for sharing Christ with me. I am thankful for the opportunites I've had to share Jesus with others, and to have had a part in James' spiritual birthday, as well as other students, friends and family. We are forever linked!

Having received Christ as Savior, we have a mandate to share Him with others. It is the greatest privilege to participate in another's salvation experience.

Do you have a story to tell? What is your testimony of coming to Christ? Have you had the opportunity to share in another's coming to Him? Would you leave me a comment or send me an email! I'd love to hear about it!

Susan

1 comment:

Maria said...

Yes, It was a blessing speaking and learning from some of the members of Glass Garden in Hampton Bays.
It seems so long ago yet many of the memories are fresh in my mind.
Maria