Be A Sheep!

I was a sheep yesterday.

I didn’t plan to be a sheep. After a particularly long work day, I planned to put my feet up, zone out a little on Facebook, and maybe get to bed early in preparation for a big event the next night.

But a tiny sentence on Facebook set in motion other plans. A friend asking for prayer indicated she was down, at “rock bottom.” Struggles that had been increasing in the past year now threatened to sink her.

I called to see if she wanted company, and was honestly surprised that she did. So over I went. And in the end, I was never so glad to put aside my plans for His.

I didn’t do anything noteworthy. Just sat on the couch with her so she didn’t have to cry alone. No special skills needed.

So often, we think that to do God’s work, we need an exceptional anointing, a wealth of Bible knowledge, remarkable speaking or leadership abilities,when all God really wants is someone willing to set aside their own agenda for His. [Tweet this] 

Matthew 25 tells us that in the end, the King will separate the sheep from the goats. The distinction between them is who gave of themselves – who gave something to eat, drink, or wear, who welcomed a stranger or a prisoner into their company. The King says when we do that for the “least of these brothers or sisters of Mine, you did it for Me.”

To serve the King, we don’t need special skills. We don’t need anything more than a willingness to be used by the King.

It’s such a simple message, but one I learned anew last night. Despite how tired I felt going to my friend’s home, I felt infinitely lighter, stronger, and renewed in spirit on the way home. To be used by God in a small matter is no small matter at all.. [Tweet this] 


What can you do today to be a sheep?

photo credit: Lightstock.com  






No comments: