Candy-Grams


Have you ever met someone and instantly connected? That is what happened in NC when I met my very dear friend, Joanne Kraft, from Blessed and Grace and Truth Living. Though we live a continent apart, it's as if she's right next door. Her writing is filled with humor, and today - a little lump in the throat.


 

For unto us a child is born, unto us a child is given. Isaiah 9:6

For God so loved the world that He gave…John 3:16


Unfolding a piece of paper, Grace began reading off a list of names. “Jaden, Michael, Jake, Brittany, and Jessie...”

“What are you doing honey?” I asked.

“Our school is selling candy-grams, Mom. For $1.00 I can send a message and have a candy cane delivered to someone’s home room.” She smiled.

I know all of Grace’s closest friends and had never heard these names before. At eleven-years-old, her only income came from occasional babysitting jobs. Five dollars might very well clean out her piggy bank.

“Sweetheart, who are these children? Aren’t you getting one for Mackenzie?”

“I decided to do something different. Mackenzie is still one of my best friends, but she will get lots of candy grams. I decided to send them to kids in my school who might not get one.”

A lump began to form in my throat.

“Jaden is autistic. He sits by himself at lunch. Michael is really, really smart and gets made fun of by the popular kids. Jake is the boy I told you about at the library, the one who walks kind of funny, remember? He offered to give me his seat and girls walked by him and whispered, Jake-alert. Jake-alert. I could tell he felt bad. Kids encouraged Brittany to dance at lunch last week. She thought they were being nice, but they were really being mean. And, Jessie, well she is kind of chubby and sits by herself in class and doesn’t talk much.”

My child went on and on with her reasons for giving—I couldn’t help but whisper a prayer of thanks for my daughters’ heart. “What are you going to write in their message?” I asked.

“I’m not sure. I think I’m just going to write, Merry Christmas – God Loves You.”

“I’m sure they will love it.” I reached out and pulled her in for a hug.

God so loved the world that He gave. This Christmas season encourage your children to give anonymously. Lead by example and show them how it’s done.


• Drop off a plate of cookies on your neighbor’s front porch, ring their doorbell and run!


• Write out a Christmas card for someone and fill it with reasons why this person is loved by you. Don’t sign your name. Have your child address it and drop it in the mail.


• Take your child with you to the grocery store. Have them help you pick out food for someone in you know is hurting financially. Let your child drop the bag off at the house.

Remember, we are loved by a God who gives lavishly. Let’s remember to touch the lives of someone in His name by giving.

Who can you give to this holiday season?

.


4 comments:

Cheri Bunch said...

I love this!!!
" ... and a little child shall lead them."

Merry Christmas blessings!

Cheri

lynnmosher said...

What a precious, young heart! You're doing a great job, Momma Joanne! Blessings to you!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

So happy to be a part of your 40 days Susan.

I pray 2011 is the year we can visit in person. xox

Donna Bolster said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! What ideas. Thank you.